Steve's GKD Legend

Steve's GKD Legend
Still, On the road again!

Search This Blog

Sunday 8 September 2013

A Beautiful Summer

... and it's actually still going! We'll be talking about this summer for years to come, just like the summer of 79 in the UK! If the universe can send us a summer like this every year I'll be very, very happy, in fact I'm sure we all will be.

I'v been really putting on the miles, all topless too! Soft top has been on just a couple of times all summer. I improved a problem I was having with lag while accelerating. It's not totally gone yet but Peter and I have some ideas how to fix it. The first issues were loose hoses, a couple of loose nuts and a cable to the throttle position sensor had become loose. Fuel consumption was down dramatically but improved just as dramatically and more once the fixes had been done. 270 miles on one fill up and still more in the tank. That's not taking it easy either! One last fix is to change the belt tensioner as the old one is loose which makes the pulley wobble. It seems when accelerating the wobble makes the pulley on the tensioner move enough so the belt hits itself (If that makes sense!). Here's a picture and film to explain it:

Hopefully a new tensioner will stop the pulley wobble and perhaps a slightly shorter belt will drag the tensioner over a little bit more.

I'll write again soon once the tensioner is in place. In the mean time have a great rest of the summer.
    

7 comments:

  1. Hey Steve,
    Try 3 posting this, not sure why its not working :S.
    Looking good, i am working on another method which is change the alternator top mount to be on an arm like the M42 set up. Will let you know once i get the solution trialed on my car.
    On your fuse box connection into the front of the scuttle, those white plugs. Are they a single terminal block? where did you get to source it? Its different to other GKDs i have seen.
    Thanks,
    Taffy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hej Taffy, good to hear from you. How's the build going? It'll be interesting to see your solution, maybe Peter at GKD will be interested. The new tensioner is in the post so hopefully I will receive it in the next few days. The weather is getting cold and the nights are drawing in so it'll be nice to get it installed and test whether the SC is functioing correctly before the snow comes.


    The white single connectors are the same as the 2, 4, 8 & 12 connectors that were provided from GKD. I found a place locally that supplies them otherwise you can get them from CBS online (http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/Multipin_Wiring_Connectors_Value_Pack_MULPAK) . I intended to find a multi connector of the same type that I could use to connect all the switches from the dashboard to the loom so I have one connection point. It's a real pain to attach the scuttle and at the same time attach so many single wires going to each switch, all of which are a bit too short.

    Cheers
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Steve,
    The build is going well, the car has been driven and i have basically everything (engine, cooling, lights, etc) working now just getting it all (the odds and ends, overflow tanks, guards, etc) mounted before stripping down to paint and then its just (just..) a final assembly and attach the AL panels.

    Will hopefully have a crack at modding the alternator this weekend and we will see if its a viable solution.

    Not found the single connectors yet but will keep searching, they look much better then a normal crimp spade connection.

    Cheers,
    Taffy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Taffy,
    Do you have latest pics? Now I remember, the single connectors I found at work. I'll get hold of the part numbers and either send you some or you could order them from your local Scania dealer.
    Cheers
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Steve,
    Had a small mishap with the usb key storing all the resized photos, so best i have is the updates for the moment.
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B64orUhbOtS_X3NxRDI4WS1nYkU&usp=sharing
    You will find a few references to your car in terms of pics and etc, it has been very helpful in my build.

    If you could send me a part number i will try and track down. That would be highly appreciated.

    Cheers,
    Taffy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Taffy, I've just browsed quickly through your build and will print it out to read tomorrow. I'm absolutely astounded at the work you have done! I thought I'd done an okay job but you have taken building to a whole different level. Absolutely fantastic and I'm honoured that you have used anything from my build. I'll be eagerly following future updates.

    I should be able this week to go up to our technical center to get the part numbers for the connectors.

    As you may have noticed I fixed the fan belt and tensioner but alas the lag hasn't gone.

    Cheers for now
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  7. Taffy, can you send me an email - do you have my address?

    ReplyDelete