Steve's GKD Legend

Steve's GKD Legend
Still, On the road again!

Search This Blog

Saturday 25 April 2015

Soft top solution

Just a small update on the soft top. I didn't like the soft top supports sitting on the rear of the boot when not in use so solved it with boat supports, shrink wrap and aluminium pipe.
These are chrome boat supports that fit a 12mm internal diameter pipe. The one to the right has an internal diameter of 18mm so I added an extra layer of shrink wrap under it to fill the space. Quite expensive but look good.
I used the old bracket I made out of stainless steel. 
Instead of painting them black I did what Peter at GKD suggested, I covered them in black shrink wrap!
The small support fits nicely together with the help of the chrome support.

Top up, where is it all going to go?
First stage, unclip the windscreen and then the rear poppers.
Fold up the soft top
Anette made me some nice black nylon bands. 
Supports folded down and then ...
Split in two! I bought 12mm aluminium bar, one end is fixed in one pipe and the other slides into the other to join them. When the soft top is on it naturally holds everything together.
Bars and soft top folded away
Boot cover in place and everything hidden away!
I'm very pleased with the result. I just need a solution for the doors when they are not in use. Maybe they could be folded in two as well! 

No comments:

Post a Comment