Steve's GKD Legend

Steve's GKD Legend
Still, On the road again!

Search This Blog

Sunday 30 August 2015

Small setback

Hello there! Hope you had a great summer. Here in Sweden August has been very much better than July, problem was that most people took their holidays in July! The car has been running pretty well since the tune up. I had to swap back to the original crankshaft sensor as the cheap replacement I bought from ebay wasn't functioning properly and was confusing the ECU. Talking of the ECU, that was also faulty, a dry joint somewhere was making it cut out which made it impossible to start the car. Long story short, that has now been replaced so generally the car has been flying although fuel consumption has been quite bad. At least until this morning! 

There have been a few occasions when the turning the engine over it has coughed and spluttered and backfired before starting but today it backfired and then when I tried to turn the engine over again it revved to 5000 rpm and stayed there. This is what happened outside my mothers house in July so I knew exactly what  the problem was - a cracked plenum!

It's cracked along the same weld line as before and I was charged a lot to fix it that time by TDI.  I'll try and get it welded again but I think the aluminium is too thin. Maybe it can be reinforced somehow.
I need to check out the super charger too, there seems to be a bit of an oil leak coming from somewhere. Gasket leaking perhaps?
Inside the blades look in extremely good condition.

It's a pity it has happened now with so many months of driving left. Hopefully though I can get it welded soon. I'll try my favorite company in Huddinge 

Restaurangmaskiner Kurt Norén AB.


More news to follow ...




2 comments:

  1. Hey Steve, Sorry to hear about your troubles.
    I have avoided thin walled AL on anything which involves vibration as it tends to harden and crack. Any chance of soft mounts/or using a flexible boot or changing out for a steel one?
    Never had anything to do with superchargers so no advice there sorry.

    I noticed that you were looking at trying to get a wheel speed sensor to give an accurate speed signal, have you had any luck with that?

    I found my headlights were not going to cut it so installed a pair of spot lights aiming basically parallel with the ground inside the nose so i could actually see the road when driving in the country at night.
    http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f116/ftaffy1/TF7I%20build%20album/IMG_1858.JPG_zpsxfjkuqch.jpg

    Cheers,
    Taffy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Taffy, I got it welded again so hopefully it will hold for a while. I'll look into maybe getting it done in stainless steel instead. I'm not so interested in saving weight.

    I din't get any further with the ABS, the cable is just hanging from the sensor. Maybe I'll give it another go over the winter but I needed to find out how to power it.

    The spot lights make a big difference. Nice they sit behind the grill unseen until being used. I noticed you had it on a dyno, what results did you get?

    I went through the first few photos of when you started with the jigs etc. you've come a tremendous way to the completed car. It looks brilliant!

    Cheers
    Steve

    ReplyDelete