Steve's GKD Legend

Steve's GKD Legend
Still, On the road again!

Search This Blog

Saturday 30 March 2013

A super charged Easter weekend!

Thursday - It's been a long wait but as soon as the box arrived today it suddenly all became worth it, I received the GKD Super Charger kit!

It only took 4 days to arrive from the UK.
What's in the box - Everything that's needed. Inlet manifold, fuel rail, injectors, rising rate fuel regulator, fan belt and the Eaton M45 super charger I bought from Ebay. All put together by GKD and ready to bolt on! Peter also kindly sent me the rear boot cover I had on order.
I removed the battery and air filter assembly
Disconnected the upper inlet manifold
I had a few questions for Peter which he answered in a flash. The kit includes almost everything so the original BMW fuel lines (2) to the fuel rail are no longer needed, pipes (3 & 4) are simply shortened and plugged. The plastic box (5) containing wire harness for sensors, injectors etc. needs to be removed leaving only the harness.
Once the plugs for the injectors were disconnected and nuts to the head and front bracket were removed I carefully removed the lower manifold. It was quite a job to keep the wires organised. Some passed through the middle of the lower manifold, some were simply going to sockets and I cut and spliced two wires to the alternator and starter motor as it was easier than disconnecting them. 
I cleaned up the wiring with electrical tape. The MAF, accelerator position sensor etc. will be at the rear of the engine so they should be run accordingly.
Before bolting down the new manifold I attached the accelerator housing which was removed from the original upper inlet manifold. Also included in the kit is a new bracket which attaches the Eaton to the engine. It's adjustable so the weight of the manifold can be taken off the inlet bolts.  
The new setup is actually lower than the conventional inlet manifold, so no problem getting the bonnet on! Unfortunately the space at the rear of the engine is very tight. I've bought a Varley Red Top 25 which is less than half the size of the standard battery. That's make much more space available, hopefully enough to incorporate the MAF and airfilter.

Friday - .... Finished late last night and continued today, connecting the fuel lines and temporarily connecting  the battery. The earth strap from the old battery to the engine was a little short to reach the Red Top so I'll get one once the shops are open. 

I then test fired it up and, yupp it started but it didn't run as I expected. Quite rough and stalling with no throttle. Peter suggested I checked the manifold bolts were tight enough as air could be seeping in. The more I tightened the better it became but still not perfect. I neglected to buy a new manifold gasket so I'll replace it and check again.

There is also a necessity to replace the belt tensioner and also add another pulley to keep the belt away from the radiator hose housing. 
Sunday - Neil came around this morning for 8k run (pre Amsterdam marathon training) and then we got on with some last jobs before taking it for a test spin. Put fan belt in place, had to make a small adjustment to one of the pulleys to get it in line with the belt, easily done by adding or removing a washer or two.
Kept nicely away from the radiator hose
Another small job was to make up a bracket to hold the dip stick tube in place. I made it out of 1mm stainless steel but it should really be 2mm. Still it's an okay temporary solution.
The whole engine looks really great now. The new coil over plugs and the SC are going to transform it.

Time to get it out for a test drive ...

Warmed up the engine and topped up the radiator as well as added some STP Oil Treatment. A bit slippery getting it out of the garage but with a little push ...
Then it was time for the open road! The sound has changed, deeper than before but I don't think it's so loud now. It'll be interesting to test decibels before Brands Hatch track day. Once out on a clear length of straight road I floored it. In first I had to change almost immediately to second. In second gear it was spinning the tyres so I had to ease off a little. Both Neil and I were gob smacked how much power it has. It had power before but it's now at a whole new level. I'd like to put it through its paces on a wider open road like the motor way and see what she can really do but that has to wait a week or so until everything on the car is finished.
The first supercharged 0-100km/h. Didn't go so well but with some more timely gear changes it'll improve. As you can see it goes well up into the red - the speed limit problem is now solved!

 More news coming soon.

8 comments:

  1. Steve, Awesome stuff and a great write up. Your site has been no end of help and for ideas!

    Did you get a power figure that its worth, heard on forums of final power between 200 and 235bhp and around 175lb/ft (240N/m).
    How much did it all cost from Peter if you dont mind me asking?
    The comment that it is smaller has me highly interested as it will save me a bonnet hole that i am currently facing even with a bulge in place
    Also going to borrow the Coil on Plug upgrade, gets rid of that damn lump of a pack.

    Also one other question, what did you do with the heater coolant line hoses on the back of the engine?

    Cheers,
    Taffy (Australia - building an M44 powered locost)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Taffy, thanks for the kind words. I haven't had it tested yet but intend to once I finish getting it all installed. I need to replace the inlet manifold gasket, something I should have done earlier. I bought an Eaton 45 from ebay for £280 and Peter has everything else that's needed on ebay for £1395.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/gkdsportscars

    The air intake is now at the back of the engine so one alternative is to put a scoop in the bonnet but I want something more discreet so I'll run a pipe to under the front.

    Coil over plugs work really well and as you say help clean up the engine bay. The hoses on the back of the engine I ran through the cab heater (something you may not need in Aus!!). The rest I blocked up.

    Cheers Steve
    PS. are you Ftaffy from Melbourne?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, nice job getting it all fitted in a weekend with time for an 8k run as well. Going to get it on a dyno once the new manifold gasket is in and everything is working well?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It took a bit of time removing the old system and sorting out the wiring but tonight when I removed the SC and inlet ready for the new gasket coming tomorrow it took about 15 minutes! Yupp will get it tested asap, I can't wait to find out what it is. I'll be happy with anything over 200 :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Steve,

    Yep that is me ftaffy from Melbourne.
    Thanks for the link to GKD's ebay sales, didnt know they had that! Can order an entire car :).

    Haha, you would be suprised it can be a little chilly here - its not all beaches and sun year round. Nothing on your version of cold though! But i am not installing a heater so will just need to plug up or make some blanking plates to seal all those hoses.

    Hmm that backward facing intake is a problem, but one i think i could live with. No solutions subtle off hand unless you make a fresh air vent (mesh or gills) in the side of the bonnet and position the intake next to that.

    cheers,
    Taffy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Taffy, One can find loads of bits on ebay but postage is expensive even to Sweden so Melbourne would be very high guess. I actually lived in Melbourne for 3 years working for Ericsson (85-88) there was snow in 86 I think it was! I was back there for short visits in 2011 and 2012 with Scania (Campbellfield).

    When I didn't have the heater I just looped the outlet pipe to the inlet. I must say you have done a brilliant job on your locost. I admire anyone who can build from scratch. I don't have the knowledge and skills, it would fall over at the welding the frame stage :-)

    Umm, I might do as you suggest and make a side intake with nice subtle grill maybe on the body panel instead of the bonnet. Not sure if that would get enough air though?

    When are you planning on having yours finished?

    Cheers
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Steve,

    Strangely enough its often cheaper for me to pay the postage on alot of items then buy local. Things are expensive here alot of the time.

    If your ever back in melbourne let me know, tflynn(at)internode(dot)on(dot)net. I live and work on the opp side of Melbourne, shipyard at Williamstown. Hopefully might have a finished car by then! There are few clubbies in Melbourne.

    I probably do the same with the heater loop, quickest option for the short term. Long term might look at making a blanking plate.

    Building from scratch is a silly idea! In the time you have built, tested/rego and now upgrading and mines still only a roller with some power to odd things.

    On the side vent you could try putting some louvers, ie http://xksjaguar.com/jaguar/newAndHot/images/0208/16-2450LouvrePrThm.jpg but in backwards to suck air in. Not sure how effective it would be though.

    Cheers,
    Taffy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Taffy, will do definitely just need to wangle a trip! I'm still impressed with your build!

    I'm wavering between a bonnet scoop, side vents and forced induction under the front. The scoop looks cool and mean but I'd rather the car look subtle, discreet, power without showing it off. I'll post a couple of photos and see what you think.

    Have a good weekend
    Steve

    ReplyDelete