Steve's GKD Legend

Steve's GKD Legend
Still, On the road again!

Search This Blog

Sunday 3 March 2013

Moving forward slowly.

I was lucky enough to have a week in Dubai and took with me the EWS and the only key I was given when I bought the donor. There are loads of street side shops that offer key cutting and chipping so I had another key cut. It took about 15 minutes while I waited and cost 200 dirham, about £35!
First Industrial Street, Sharjah (BMW Road). The new one, on the right looks good and works great.

Weather has been crap and motivation has been low but I finished another small job that I needed to do. The rear soft top brackets were prototypes so I made new ones.
The original bracket on the left, a bit big and clumsy and attached between the roll bar and side panel. Once I had the side panel filled and welded there was no space left for the bracket. I decided on a solution where the bracket was attached directly to the roll bar. First prototype on the right, not good as it rotated.
From the second prototype I made two new brackets in stainless steel and buffed them up. The hole for the soft top supports is in the same position as the original bracket so the rotation point is the same.
The soft top supports still fold down and rest on the rear panel but I'd like to find a solution where they can quickly be removed or attached and stored so they can't be seen.

I realised there are only 9 weeks left until the Stoneleigh kit car show (6th May) and Brands Hatch track day (8th May) so I really need to get going with my list of things to do. Ideally I'd like to be ready much earlier as spring can be awesome for trips out in the country. Hopefully Peter at GKD will send me the Super Charger kit next week so I can get it installed and tested. Then spend a few weeks to fix mainly the console and glove box and then get everything reassembled.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment