Steve's GKD Legend

Steve's GKD Legend
Still, On the road again!

Search This Blog

Thursday 25 April 2013

Soon England or bust

It's bit a bit of a rush to get the last minute jobs finished for the trip next Thursday. Last night I thought everything was ready, dash and dials, windscreen wipers and soft top back on, even managed to get the console finished although I'm not completely happy with it. Today was going to be the first Scania Road trip; out in the evening after work with other enthusiasts. The day started and finished with brilliant sunshine, a perfect day for a country outing in the Legend. On the way to work however the bolt holding the front of the diff to the frame bracket actually snapped half way along the thread leaving me with a tow home.
It was too late to get a new bolt (M12 70mm 1,5mm pitch) so will pick a couple up tomorrow morning. 

I tried to improve the air flow to the MAF as  it was tucked next to the battery with hardly any air getting to it. I ended up buying a tube and in-line filter and routed it down to a 45% pipe under the car. It really needs a log thin intake to scoop in as much air as possible but this will hopefully do for the time being.
It's a but tight with water bottle, battery etc but quite a neat solution from "Biltema" (some things they sell are good!)

It's very close to the exhaust manifold but hopefully not too close.

The console is okay but the 5mm foam I used was too thick, could have been 2mm or no foam at all. Also the heater control and reverse sensor display don't look good. Actually I could probably leave the heater in the ON position and hide the control behind, same as the reverse sensor, it's enough to have the beeping without the distance display.
I have a switch for turning on the ODB II connector, one for testing and showing if the oil level is too low and one to turn on an LED lamp in the passenger foot well.
Added a 12v outlet between the seats and also a dual USB on the side of  the console.

Checking around the internet a few weeks ago and stumbled on an air jack that runs on compressed air that a Chinese company were advertising. After a bit of negotiating the price including postage was pretty reasonable. Paid with Paypal! Two arrived (One for Neil) in just over a week with FedEx. I can honestly say it's brilliant! The max load is approx. 3000kg, so lifting up the kit car is a piece of cake and it's done in about 10 seconds.  
One just wheels it along, push it under the car so the three air bags are under something reasonably solid. The minimum height can be about 13,5cm and the Legend is about 17 at it's lowest point so there's no problem getting it underneath.  It's then just a matter of pressing the inflate button.
The max height is about 45 cm which is plenty to do most jobs. The main one is having  to change the tires on two cars twice a year!

I can get the wheel off and back on in a matter of minutes. To lower the car one simply pressed the deflate button and the car slowly drops down. The final air is sucked out by pressing another button. just like the wheel nut remover it's a brilliant tool and well worth getting!


3 comments:

  1. Hi Steve,

    What bolt grade was the one that snapped? One thing I noticed on my car (and as far as I can read it should be similar on yours) is that the M12 bolt has quite a bit of play in the 1/2" bushing. I would think that this increases the chance of the bolt breaking (either by shock loading or by bending).

    I drilled away the tread in the diff to have a 1/2" hole. Then a slight grinding of the diff to fit a lock nut. Used a grade 8 bolt in there.

    Also as far as I recall (would have to check though), I now have the bolts shank loaded (running into the diff), not the thread.

    There is an awfully high force on those parts. I came to 12.5 kN there.

    Enjoy the England trip!,

    Marc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marc,
    Nice to hear from you. Hope it's going well for you. You have to make it for next years Stoneleigh!

    Im sure you're right about the pressures put on the bolt. The bolt was a grade 8 but I have now changed it to 13,9 . Good idea of yours to drill out the thread. I hope the solution I have is enough. I just hope there are no more surprises in the next 10 days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Steve,

    Do you have any idea why it snapped? I think the BMW bolt I removed was a 12.9 so the 13.9 should be plenty, but also with the weight of your car a grade 8 should not have snapped..

    Enjoy Stoneleigh and the holiday around.

    ReplyDelete