Steve's GKD Legend

Steve's GKD Legend
Still, On the road again!

Search This Blog

Sunday 3 April 2011

Great Weekend

It's been one of those weekends where nearly everything went well. Handbrake cables installed and only require adjustment once the brake fluid is running nicely through the pipes.
Two black cables running from left to right, adjustment made with the nuts on the left.

I was a little confused how they connected to the rear calipers but it seems they lie in the slot like this:
The black cable ends here with the metal end being squeezed in the caliper mount

Because this is a left hand drive, it's a bit of a squeeze with steering shaft, cable harness and brake/clutch fluid reservoir on the same side. Peter suggested I put spacers to lift out the reservoir so I did and at the same time I cut some chrome pipe, usually used for water piping. The extra long bolts I made up fitted nicely through them and even if I say it myself they look bl..dy good!
Brake and clutch pipes attach to the cylinders behind the pedals. The pipe going through bulk head is fake, it's not connected!

I'm pleased with the way the cables, battery etc have turned out. I made up a small bracket to keep the diagnostics plug in place and the coil is placed down beside the engine bolted to the bulkhead.
 
Coil can be seen standing up in the lower left.

The last few job of the weekend were to screw the ECU (looks a radio on its side), relays, battery cable holes through the bulkhead etc. There are loads of cables to connect but I don't have the spade connectors yet. Oh yes I connected the fuel lines to the engine so it won't be long before she can be fired up!
Gradually sorting out the spaghetti but it's well marked spaghetti!

2 comments:

  1. All looks very neat, well done.

    The way you've attached the handbrake cables is not quite right though - I made this mistake too initially, but basically you need a bolt going through the hole on the bit on the end of the cable, and the bolt then pulls against the mechanism. Ideally the bolt should have a non-threaded bit where it pulls on the mechanism.

    I recommend marking the propshaft nuts and bolts with a pen so that you can tell if they've started to undo due to vibrations etc (which would be very bad, obviously).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dave, thanks, I was a little sceptical with the solution I used with it just lying in the slot. Good idea with the propshaft nuts too.

    ReplyDelete