Steve's GKD Legend

Steve's GKD Legend
Still, On the road again!

Search This Blog

Sunday 12 June 2011

Back to the front

A few things have been done since the great escape. I decided instead of doing jobs all over the car, I would try and concentrate on getting the rear done and then move forward to the front. Got one of the rear panels bolted on. I used a 3.2mm drill at 10cm intervals around the inside rim of the wing and the used the Cleco fasteners to keep it tight to the body. Then took out one at a time and re-drilled to the bolt size as well as inserting the rubber sealing band in between wing and body.   
Had to make sure rivet holes etc were covered by the wing as well as the wheel being central.

Once in place I bolted on the brake light/indicator cluster. Had the car horizonatal so it was straight forward to get the light straight.

Rear light cluster in place.

The cluster wiring, I think I'll put this in a rubber tube so it's a bit more robust.

Then I got the riveter out and finished off both the driver and passenger sides. If I was doing this job from the start I'd buy an air driven riveter to save back ache!

The picked up the tank bracket and bolted that in place with a strip of bike inner tube to hopefully stop any vibration (this is looking done behind the tank)

When I did the test drive last week the accelorator got stuck so I decided to redo the cable and connection to the pedal as well as trim off the connection to the manifold. I drilled up through the hole in the pedal so it would come through the bulkhead at exactly the right position instead of where I had it, which made the cable bend at the wrong angle. I got the angle grinder out and removed the top part of the cable bracket as the bonnet would have hit it.

Inset is how it was.

I also found out that the mileage and trip meters are back lit and the bulb had gone that's why I could see them before. I removed a bulb from somewhere else which wasn't needed and bobs yer uncle there it was!

The wood looks good but I don't think I'll use it in the finished car!

No comments:

Post a Comment