Steve's GKD Legend

Steve's GKD Legend
Still, On the road again!

Search This Blog

Sunday 26 June 2011

Midsummer weekend

It was midsummer in Sweden so some drinking and good eating was done but funnily enough I still had some time for a few jobs on the car! The steering wheel is now attached with a new boss (third time lucky!) and it actually works with the horn too. In the end it was a very simple solution with a BMW spring loaded brass connector and a boss from Rally Design in the UK partnr: BM25 which has a brass ring on the inside so when the steering wheel turns the brass connector and ring are always in contact. 

The small spring loaded brass connector
Looks quite nice with everything attached


I fixed the rear number plate light above the number plate as under would have meant drilling and bolting through to where the tank is situated and it's too tight behind there. I checked out the illumination, seems okay just hope it passes the test.

This could work couldn't it?

The SFRO test has been postponed until the 6th of July but I still have to get loads done. I fixed the rear boot space. It still needs edging and perhaps a carpet but that's not required for the test.

Boot floor held in place by Cleco fasteners just in case the test guy needs to look at the fuel tank

As there were a couple of nice sunny day I fixed the front indicators. Also (with help) I managed to sort out some of the wiring so hazards, indicators, sidelights, brake lights and reversing light all work. Just a small problem with headlights, low & beam and the repeaters left. I can't fix the dashboard until all electrics are sorted out.

The grill hole is slightly off horizontal so I'll need to make some adjustments - later!

The only main mechanical job I need to finish is the upper steering bracket. Peter kindly sent me the correct BMW housing although the one I ordered from BMW was also supposed to be the correct one. All that is left is to make up a new bracket to bolt to the chassis as the one I have is a little too short.

The correct housing on the right

Bending the bonnet tomorrow ...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Steve,

    Do you have any pics or details of how you shaped the bonnet panel?

    Regards
    Donnie Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Donnie, I got the details from Peter at GKD but I'll check at home to see if I have them written down. Most people I have heard, use a welding gas bottle for the curve. The diameter at the scuttle end is slightly bigger than the nose cone end. I'll check the measurements and get back to you. What are you building?

    ReplyDelete