Steve's GKD Legend

Steve's GKD Legend
Still, On the road again!

Search This Blog

Saturday 19 March 2011

Not a good Saturday.

Started off today with quite a bit of enthusiasm, got the rear panel bent into shape. I first drilled the holes for the bottom edge of the panel and then inserted cleco fasteners to keep it in place. I placed a few clamps on the top edge and then gradually put my weight evenly on the side edge of the panel and kept pushing little by little removing and reapplying the pressure. Once bent, a few more clamps kept the sides in place. I'm not going to attempt to bend the top edge yet, not sure if I'll get the panel off again. 
The new panel has the hole for the petrol filler already cut out - nice!

Then I started laying out the main wiring loom and tried to work out what everything was and where it went. The wiring is extremely well marked. The problem came when I noticed the bulkhead panel had the holes for the fuse connector, relays etc on the same side as the steering wheel. The RHD version has them on opposite sides. I'm just waiting for confirmation from Peter that they should be on the passenger side.

I believe the holes just above the row of relays should be on the right, the passenger side!

Another worry is the small leak I noticed coming from the shortened sump. It looks like the weld and definately not the drain plug. I've got the feeling it's going to have to be changed, hopefully I can leave the engine in but it will still mean removing the gearbox. Happy days!

Took about 10 or so hours to leak this much.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day!

2 comments:

  1. The hole location for the wiring makes sense though - all the wiring in the engine bay will have the same layout as an RHD car, so the wires will want to come out in the same place?

    Shame about the sump, that is a big pain. Would it be too much of a bodge to weld over the leaking bit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was confused at the beginning because the looms were marked os and ns and so I just swapped then around. When in actual fact Peter agreed that he should have marked them left and right. It will be a bit cramped as everything is bunched up on the same side. Instead of going neatly from one side to the other it goes out from the driver’s side and loops back again. I also have to consider the position of the wiper motor and heater.

    I bought some metal putty for the sump. It's been on there two days now with no sign of a leak so hopefully that's been cured.

    ReplyDelete