Steve's GKD Legend

Steve's GKD Legend
Still, On the road again!

Search This Blog

Saturday 12 March 2011

Running up to the first IVA

I contacted the Swedish equivalent of the IVA (SFRO) and a guy can drop around almost anytime. I don’t want to do too much before the first test so I’m just doing odds and ends. Bolted the engine and gearbox mounts including attaching the earth strap. I still have to torque the gearbox bolts to the engine.

I was abit worried about a belt adjuster not fitting because of the chassis but then I realised it was the air conditioning belt tensioner so didn't need it anyway! There seems to be plenty of room infront of the engine, perhaps there will be space for shopping bags!

Fitting hoses next.

I thought I better check the fitting of the exhaust manifold and it fits really well. Hopefully it will be fairly easy to cut a hole in the side paneling for the pipes to go through.
I need to buy manifold gaskets and new bolts.

Next I fixed the gearstick bracket and the handbrake bracket, both fairly simple but a task to tick off the list at least.
The gearstick is now tightly in place, it'll look good with the new covering I bought!

Handbrake attached, just need the cables attached to the rear calipers.

On to the back and attached the fuel tank brackets temporarily. I had to modify the bends slightly at each end as they didn't sit parallel with the chassis. The manual is a little vague about the brackets so I'll leave them attached by only the front bolts.

The tank strap is the one in the centre. The tank is raised and put in place from underneath and then a strap put in place at each side to stop it falling back.

I'm a little concerned about the electrics, what to keep from the donor and what to remove. The engine is also wired as a right hand drive so I need  to swap the harness so it comes through the dashboard on the correct side. I'll wait and work this out after the first IVA. 


2 comments:

  1. Regarding cutting the hole for the exhaust - I recommend buying a nibbler that attaches to an electric drill (or an air powered one if you have a compressor). These are cheap, easy to use and will make very nice cutouts in aluminium panels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip, I searched my loacl store chain and they have one that fits to a drill. I have to say that I would'nt have gotten this far so quickly if it hadn't been for your and James's blogg. Great photos and comments - thanks!

    ReplyDelete