Steve's GKD Legend

Steve's GKD Legend
Still, On the road again!

Search This Blog

Sunday 6 March 2011

On to the engine

I bought an engine lift and stand yesterday from a place called "Jula" a large chain of hardware stores selling everything especially great and fairly cheap automotive tools. Even if a tool is used only once it's worth buying, that's my policy. One can always put it on e-bay (blocket.se) if space becomes an issue.
The engine is very front heavy so the balance bar comes in handy.

The engine stand didn't fit because of the clutch assembly stuck out. At first I thought I'd have  to take off the clutch and flywheel but with the help of Richard from the GKD forum I managed to solve it. Bought a length of hardened 12M bar, chopped it into four lengths and then used washers and nuts to keep it nicely in place against the engine and stand. I was a little reluctant at first to let the stand take the whole weight of the engine but it worked fine.
 I couldn't bolt it to the sump as that's what I need to take off and swap with a shortened version. It's fairly central, good enough to enable the engine to revolve.

 Engine nicely on the stand and fairly easy to revolve it. I got a floor covered in water once the water drained out!

Oh and I fixed the front caliper thread problem, I ended up buying a M12 1,5 tap and re did the thread, perhaps some sand got in there when I sand blasted it. Car is now on the ground supported by all four wheels and nothing has dropped off - yet!
Not that I have adjusted anything yet but I seem to have quite a bit of Toe out and the track rods are wound just about all the way in. Alice is the first passenger!

No comments:

Post a Comment