Steve's GKD Legend

Steve's GKD Legend
Still, On the road again!

Search This Blog

Thursday 19 May 2011

Quick Update

Once the engine started on Sunday I thought it best to put the muffler on which has a catalytic converter in it. I got it mainly because it reduces the sound level hopefully enough to reach the 84 dB required in Sweden. Also because of course I’m an environmentally friendly kind of guy! The bracket was quite simple to put in place but I recommend that one uses a spacer between the floor pan and the bracket to keep it clear of the side panel.
Bolted through the passenger floor pan. Use some sealant otherwise you may have an unwanted puddle under the seat.

Lucky enough I had two brackets so I cut one slightly shorter and bolted it in between. I didn’t measure the sound level before but with the muffler in place and using my newly acquired sound meter it gave a reading of 86 dB and idle so hopefully outside the sound will be reduced.
I had to get a replacement exhaust as the rules in Sweden require the outlet to face at least 45o downwards - this one is more.

After buying four different lengths of fan belt I finally managed to get one to fit. I squeezed on one that was 1025mm, it became easier when I turned the crank with a spanner to help it on to the alternator. The auto tensioner should keep it tight for a while.
Now I have water keeping it cool but that doesn't help the fumes in the cellar. Next job buy a 10m hose to attach to the exhaust pipe!

More work outside on the driveway. I borrowed the same truck again from work and drove out for a 6am fill up at the local gravel pit.

Everything was going fine until I got the back wheels stuck in the mud of the driveway. The wheels also dragged up some of the fibre sheet that I had so carefully put down the night before!
I managed to salvage most of the fibre sheet but not all.

I tipped out what I could and then had to flag down a friendly passing excavator who kindly dragged the truck forward on to the tarmac. After all that excitement I’m now left with shovelling 13 tons of 0-30mm stones out onto the driveway – this is where having children comes in handy!

5 comments:

  1. Looks like so much fun! Never mind building a kit car, driving lorries full of stones and diggers is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it was a soft top and didn't drink 35litres per 100km I'd love to use it for those weekends trips in the country but .....

      Delete
  2. Hey Steve, Do you happen to know which car the belt came from? I am struggling with the same problem at the moment.

    Thanks,
    Taffy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear from you. Actually the belt I used the first time was routed wrongly (above picture) it should go under the cam shaft pulley, across and round the tensioner and back over the top of crank shaft pulley, then over to the alternator. Now I have the SC installed so I use another belt which is slightly longer than what I should have used without the SC. Try posting on the GKD forum as I know James and Richard use the m44/m42 engine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Steve,

    Thanks for that, i was actually at a parts store and they had a rack of belts of different lengths. Didnt have the width measurement on me when i was there but that looks like the easiest option.

    cheers,
    Taffy

    ReplyDelete